Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Night BP...back story

A few months ago, Michael Blake sent me a manuscript of his new book, Into the Stars. It’s about an American soldier during WW I who finds a horse on the battlefield. After I read it I called Michael, so impressed with his description of trench warfare. I asked him where he found do much material on WW I as I felt as though I was there. He told me that he made it all up. Impressed, I mentioned this to Said. He then challenged me to write about a subject of his choosing without any research. He chose the Gulf oil spill.
I wrote "The Night BP Drove Old Dixie Down" which is now a finalist in RedRoom’s short story contest. What I found interesting is that friends have asked me how I knew so much about fishing and drilling for oil.

No comments: